Cooroy History – Buildings
Prior to European settlement, thick rainforest and magnificent stands of tall timber covered the land. The timber industry was central to the settlement and development of Cooroy History.
In 1885, sawmillers Dath, Henderson and Co. owned 2046 hectares, stretching westwards from Mt Cooroy, including the current township area. The railway station became the district’s focal point upon its completion in 1891, dispatching log timber and produce and receiving goods and mail.
Early infrastructure in Cooroy was rudimentary and it was not until 1906 that J.L. Boden established the first store in the railway yard. The Queensland Government repurchased the area in 1907 and surveyed the land into agricultural farms and town lots.
The timber and dairy industries supported the town. Following the closure of the Butter Factory in 1975, land use gradually changed from farming to rural residential. The closure of the sawmill in 2000 ended an era for the town.
Fenwick’s Sawmill – Mary River Road.
Steam operated mill established in 1908. It’s closure in 2000 signifies the end of the timber industry in Cooroy. Much of Cooroy History is centered upon logging and the timber industry and this former sawmill site is now called the Cooroy Lower Mill Site and has an interpretive display with it’s very own ghost, the Cooroy Library and open parklands to enjoy.
Cooroy Butter Factory – 10 Maple Street.
Bodens Cooroy Store – Corner Maple & Emerald Streets
Boden’s Cooroy Store – Corner Maple and Emerald Streets
This building was constructed in 1909 for Cooroy’s first store keeper, J.L. Boden. His first small store from the railway yard was moved and added to the building. Later the Row family operated the general store here for many years.
Bank of NSW – 36a Maple Street.
In 1909, the Bank of New South Wales opened in the office of James Duke, manager of Dath, Henderson & Co., until J.L. Boden provided a new building. It was moved 30 metres down the street to this site when purchased by the bank in 1923
Wimmers Cordial Factory – 3 Garnet Street
Estabished by Franz Wimmer in 1910. Wimmers is the oldest family operated business in Cooroy and celebrated 100 years in 2010! In 2015 Wimmers moved to a new state of the art factory on Lake Macdonald Drive, Cooroy.
Victory Hotel – 38 Maple Street
Bakehouse and Shop – 42 Maple Street
School of Arts & Temporary Post Office – 29 Maple Street
The original Cooroy School of Arts built in 1910 also acted as the temporary Post Office for a while. It is now incorporated into the Cooroy Memorial Hall.
Cooroy Post Office – 33 Maple Street
The Cooroy Post Office was originally opened at the Railway Station in 1892. It was then briefly housed in the original School of Arts. The current building opened in 1914. A telephone exchange was located within the building.
Cooroy Railway Station – Elm Street
The railway station was the hub of the original settlement of Cooroy. The railway line to Cooroy was opened in 1891. Log timber and produce was dispatched and goods and mail Received. The railway also provided vital transport for people and without it, Cooroy history would be very different.
Cooroy Private Hospital – 50 Maple Street
Dr Ellen Wood established a private hospital here in 1910. Matron Morrison, who operated the hospital from 1920 until the 1940s, named it St Margaret’s Private Hospital. From 1959 – 1999 it was managed by the Noosa District Friendly Society. Now named Eden Rehabilitation Hospital , it is currently operated by Pulse Health
Hotel Cooroy – Cnr Diamond & Elm Streets
Hotel Cooroy, Cooroy, ca. 1929. The Hotel Cooroy was originally built in 1908 and moved to this site and extended in 1910. It was then gutted by fire in 1920 when it was known as Clugstons Cooroy Hotel before being rebuilt. The Coronation Hall was built adjacent to this site in 1911 for Arthur Godwin, licensee of the Cooroy Hotel, to be used for community events. The hall was later used by a silent movie theatre, clothing store and undertaker. It was dismantled in 1936.
Elders Blacksmith Shop – 9 Diamond Street – Cooroy
Jarman Bros. – 4 Diamond Street
Jarman Bros. Hairdressers, Tobacconists, Stationers and Newsagents once occupied this building, which was rebuilt after being destroyed by fire in 1926. They were agents for cars, trucks, and motorcycles and sold fuels and oils. There was a billiard room located behind the shop. This is now the Belvedere Newsagency.
Methodist Church – 51 Maple Street
Methodist Church in Cooroy, ca. 1912 The Methodist congregation built the first church in Cooroy on this site in 1911. The present church was opened on 19 February 1949 and the former church is used as a hall.
Cooroy Memorial Hall / School of Arts – 29 Maple Street
The School of Arts, (see 8. above) built in 1910 for the proposed Noosa Council Chambers, was incorporated into the newly built Memorial Hall in 1926. The Cooroy community funded the construction of the Hall to honour the fallen of WWI. Here the picture shows the CWA ladies at the front of the hall around 1927.